Monday, October 15, 2007

Bell Street Café Houston, TX















Bell Street Caf
é (corner of Milam and Leeland Streets; entrance on Milam Street)
800 Bell Street
Houston TX
1-713-656-0870
Map

Buttermilk Fried Chicken with mashed potatoes
Cost: $4.15
Green beans
Cost: $1.00

Total Cost: $5.65
Rating: 2 spoons

Overall Rating: 1 spoon

This place is located in the basement of one of the downtown Houston buildings. I decided to walk over there and catch up with one of my work colleagues.

Once inside, I looked at the menu and they had grilled BBQ salmon with two sides for $5.85; the Buttermilk Fried chicken with one side was $4.15. They also had samples of the meals and this one looked the most enticing.

Myself and three others behind me wanted the salmon, but they were already out of that and it was only 12:38p :-( and they close at 1:30p having opened at 11:00a.

We asked the servers and they gave us an odd look and went to see if there were more in the kitchen; sadly there were none. The mashed potato and green beans were down to the last amounts and inquiring if they had more brought odd stares again. They did get more from the nearby kitchen though. Reluctantly two of us had the chicken and the other decided to have something from another area. The guy who had the chicken was a security personnel and said he could not wait for them to decide if they had anymore salmon so he took the chicken and bolted. I had he chicken with mashed potatoes, green beans and a whole wheat roll.

I was dining with a colleague and he wanted to have some coffee; well there was none! By now I was really angry, so I asked the cashier why was there no coffee. She said that coffee finished at 9:30a; odd I thought, so now they are telling customers when to have coffee? How rude...

I paid for my meal using a debit/credit card after getting some water and lemon and headed for a place to sit of which there were ample. The dining area is quite large and airy housing a large screen TV off to one side which always plays CNN. Off to the side one could see a water fountain from behind the glass.

The meal was good as we swapped weekend activities. Once I was done, you have to bus your own table to a nearby revolving receptacle. Not a bad meal, but the service from the servers leaves a lot to be desired.

No comments: